I had it done on one of my cats.  This was years ago though.  (at least 10)  I don't think they had the IFA test then even. I think they put him to sleep.  Whatever they did, they did not let me see, so I have no idea how much, if any it hurt him.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I agree that I would not put a cat out for any length of time unless necessary (they said it was necessary to determine Simon's chemo treatment), but it is a small needle and they are out and I really do not think it caused any pain with Simon.  I am not saying I would do it for an FeLV test; I just seem to be the only person who has taken a cat for the test and so thought I would share that it did not seem like a big deal at all.  He never even looked at the spot on his shoulder, much less lick it or limp or act strangely about it. He had a lot of other things going on, though, so it was not the only thing he was dealing with.
Michelle