There are many people more knowledgeable on this list than me but I can tell you my experience…

First, it is possible for a kitten to test neg & then show pos much later even with no exposure to infected cat.  I know because this happened to me.  My Tucson tested neg as a young kitten & pos six years later after being an indoor only cat.  Apparently, the virus can sort of hide for a while & test won’t pick it up.  Since both your pos are under a year it might be tough to tell who had it first….

Second, as far as testing I would make sure that pos cat had the Elissa, which is the one the vet does right in the office & the IFA which is blood sent to lab.  IFA is the more conclusive & I would not rely on Elissa only.

As for mixing, well, I guess everyone has their own experiences.  I have other cats who were around my pos for years before I found out she was pos. I knew I would not euthanize her, I knew I could not give her away so I had the other cats vaccinated & have them all mixed.  It is impossible to prevent them from eating each other’s food, grooming each other, etc. Also, adult cats are much less likely to come down with it.   I figured that all of them had been exposed to her for years & had not come down with it & with  the vaccine would giving them some extra protection, the most humane thing for everybody was to just leave them as they had been all this time.  So far everything is OK.  I also took in a stray I had been feeding & though he was supposed to be adopted, he was pos & the people didn’t want him.  My only problem is that my female pos absolutely hates him…  When Tucson tested pos, I changed vet because my old vet, good as he was, was some distance from me & told me he had had very limited experience with FELV.  I found a vet much closer to me who happens to be the vet for someone locally who does FELV rescue & so far so good.

I was floored when my Tucson & Big Boy (the former stray) showed pos as neither had ever been sick….  It took me a while to catch my breath but bottom line is that all 5 of mine are strays or dumped cats & they are all enjoying the good life right now.  Had they not found me, I know that all of them would have died by now….  To separate them or to give away some of them would have really affected them badly (not to mention me!)

I don’t know anything about retrovir.  Many people on this list use interferon.  I do not at this point.  My Tucson had a couple of episodes of low white blood count & my vet game her a series of immuno-regulin shots.  It seemed to do the trick for a while.  However, I think it’s a little tougher with very young cats & other people here will give you plenty of suggestions about that.  You said the year old cat is sick at this point.  What sort of symptoms is he showing?

As far as the shelter, well most vets use the Elissa & that can show neg in a very young kitten when virus has not ‘blossomed’ yet…  Its hard for them to hold on to kittens for too long as then nobody wants to adopt them!  In fact, one set of recommendations I found suggested retesting all kittens at a year old-well, by then, it’s a little too late….

I know you will find the people on this list very helpful-we’ve all been there!