Thank you Tamara,
I was wondering about the different alternatives to surgery. It's hard for me to trust western medicine, it's so caustic and invasive. I know I talk tough, but it's difficult to even consider giving up without exploring every applicable treatment I can unearth. Not just for Zevon, but for any animal/human in my care. Which is why my funds are depleted and I look 10 years older than my age! The East/West vet I found for Gypsy does acupuncture, I'll give her a call when the time comes. Thank you again.
Nina

tamara stickler wrote:

Nina, you have my prayers. I've seen acupuncture work WONDERS for dogs that had lost the use of their back legs...even old dogs. If western medicine can no longer help...and you feel you aren't ready to give up...find an animal acupuncturist....you just might be amazed.
Good luck, God Bless you both.

*/Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    Hi Everyone,
    Bruce and I just got back from the Vet. Our 8 year old German
    Shepherd
    Dog, Zevon has been having trouble with his back legs for the last
    couple of months. I guess I've been in denial and have been giving
    him
    stuff for arthritis etc. The vet (not his regular ortho surgeon, he's
    out of town at conferences), suspects either a disc problem or
    something
    called, Degenerative Myelopathy, (a degenerative neurologic disease),
    something GSDs are prone to apparently. He had to stay at the vet
    overnight to treat him intravenously with steroids to see if
    whatever is
    causing his paralysis lessens. The ER vet said that there is a chance
    that the steroid therapy alone could help him regain the full use
    of his
    legs, (let's hope so, tonight's therapy is costing over $1100
    bucks and
    we haven't even started diagnostic work yet). If this doesn't help
    him,
    Bruce and I have a tough decision to make. About 4 years ago, Zevon
    took a leap off a very high cliff in Santa Barbara trying to get
    to the
    surf below. He sustained severe sprains on both his front legs and we
    were told by three vets to have him PTS before we found a surgeon
    that
    took on his case and saved his life. Zevon is a highly energetic dog
    that never lets pain get in his way of having a good time. The
    operations and months of recooperative down-stays were extremely
    hard on
    him. He is also vulnerable to reinjury of his front legs and now with
    his back legs in jeopardy, not to mention the fact that he's no
    longer a
    young dog, make his prognosis for a quality life in a wheel chair
    very
    poor. Please include him in your prayers. Please pray that tonight's
    treatment brings us a miracle of at least temporary recovery. He's so
    important to our household, we all love him so much, dogs, cats and
    humans alike. He's such a sweet soul, I don't know how we'd get along
    without him.

    Thanks for caring,
    Nina

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!