Barbara,
Belinda's story is far from unique.  I have a 7 year old who I had since a
young kitten who tested neg at about 6-8 weeks of age who turned up positive
last year.  She, Tucson, has been an indoor only cat so I assume, as does
vet, that she had virus all along.  She's only had a couple of bouts with
low white blood count & is a real porko (17 1/2 lbs).  Thing is that for all
these years Tucson lived with 3 other cats who were never vaccinated for
FELV.  Two are younger than her and came in to my house as kittens.  All
shared food, litter box, toys, groomed each other, etc.  When I found out
Tucson was positive, I had them all tested & they were neg.  I had them
vaccinated and they are all mixed.  I will get them vaccinated every year
(my vet won't vaccinate without testing as well) but if they didn't get it
in all these years, chances are they won't now.

I also have a 4-5 year old male, Big Boy, who I had been feeding every day
outside for 2 + years before I brought him in.  He was never sick a day & I
was floored when he tested positive.

I think that my experience with Tucson taught me a lot about the testing of
young kittens (which is when most cats are tested).  Elisa test can be neg
but if virus has somehow not spread yet, then it might not show up.  This is
what happened to Tucson.

My original vet was very pessimistic about both Tucson's & Big Boy's future
but here we are almost 2 years later doing fine.  My new vet has a lot more
experience with FELV & feels that no one can predict life expectancy.  So
saying that Tom only has a year & a half is just wrong!  Any vet who tells
you that would also tell you that mixing is just impossible.  It is a
personal decision but please consider the experiences of some of the folks
on this list who have mixed a lot longer than I have.  To tell you the
truth, I have this theory that a whole lot more adult cats than we think are
FELV+--again, most cats get tested as kittens and never retested again so
who's to say which are positive & which are negatives.

Its sometimes hard to find a vet who is really knowledgeable about this
condition.  Most will tell you to euthanize.  While my vet may not have
latest inteferon info, I do know he is the vet for a local rescuer for FELV
kittens & that she is very pleased with him.  Maybe you should think about
another opinion--just don't believe this nonsense that an adult FELV+ cat
only has a year or so left!

Chris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]