THANK YOU MaryChristine!!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of TenHouseCats
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:48 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Two Door Deluxe Pet Porters for Cats/Kerry

try force-fondling when you first get ferals in--while still
caged/crated/in confined area, get out your welding or teflon or
elkskin gloves, and let them hiss and growl and bite to their little
hearts' content, petting those special places (base of tail, behind
the ears, etc) all the while.... after a bit, you'll see that while
they may keep on hissing, they start to bend into the pets, and arch
up to meet your hand--they realize how GOOD being petted feels, even
when they don't want to admit it. while most will never become lap
cats, a surprising number will ultimately turn into velcro kitties
(mostly males, it seems, and girls who never had kittens to
protect--ferals who were moms seem to be the least likely to ever come
around totally). at the sanctuary, we HAD to be able to handle the
ferals when they needed medicating, so this was how we got them to at
least tolerate our touch. and it IS such an incredible gift when a
feral learns to trust you!

an interesting thing we saw often, even with the most recalcitrantly
feral, was that when they were sick and needed fluids/meds, they would
allow it as if they realized that they needed help, and that we would
NOT hurt them.... of course, they returned to ferality once the course
of treatment was done--i mean, one does have to maintain the balance
of power, after all....

--
MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats