the trick is to have friends with nearly as many or more cats than you
yourself have--then you just trade off cat sitting! the other thing,
is find some responsible friend who hates their own living situation,
and let them stay in your house while you're gone.....

you may be right that they didn't want to deal with illness, potential
or real--but don't underestimate the very real possibility that they
truly BELIEVE (based, of course, on absolutely nothing) the cat could
pass on the virus.... (tho when i first moved to the sanctuary and
people asked me if i wasn't afraid of bringing FIV or FeLV to my cats,
my standard answer was that i wasn't at all concerned because i was
neither sleeping with the sanctuary cats, nor coming home and
inflicting deep penetrating bites to my cats.... somewhat mixed
science, but people got the idea)
--
MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats