Lisa,

Oh hon...I know how hard this is for you, I've been there too.  ....Try not to be too hard on your boyfriend tho.  Men are raised to "fix things"...he is seeing the same thing Akira is going through and what you are going through and its tearing him up too...he doesn't know how to "fix it" any  more than you do, but see he's "SUPPOSED" to know...;-) so damnit he's gonna try to fix it "if you would just let him"!  :-) And what is upsetting to him is that you "don't seem to want to let him help you both."  Now I know that Akira is your cat, and the decisions are YOUR's to make, but your bf is scared out of his mind too...of loosing Akira, for his own feelings toward her....and of loosing you, because right now, when all his logic tells him you should be needing him the most..you seem to be pushing him away, shutting him out, dismissing him, and he doesn't understand why.  I truly doubt he is TRYING to make you feel bad...he prob. just sees your rejection of his suggestions as a rejection of HIM...Let's face it...this might very well be the first time he's had to deal with death without Mom & Dad sheltering him from it, or leading him through it...so now all of a sudden he's the "adult" and he's going to help you if it kills you both!  (Its very sweet...in a way....as much as it is irritating.)  He's trying to play guardian, protector, savior, lover & Dad...he doesn't know where to put himself, any more than you do right now...he's as scared as you...maybe more so, because Akira isn't his so he can't actually "take charge"...he feels helpless too...and since helplessness is a "weakness" he might be showing it as anger.  I don't know how to tell you to deal with him...I just didn't want you to think that he is trying to hurt you...if he's never been demonstrative toward you before...its prob. just his fear and confusion that he's transferring...

At least that's an educated guess from what I've read that you've posted....if I've totally missed the mark...forgive me...just trying to help.
God Bless.