-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of TenHouseCats
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 12:54 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Please read this response!! URGENT:DO NOT USE-KittyKind
-CATRESCUE-in Or...

devil's advocate here--damn, it's a pain having 4 planets in libra:
"but on the other hand!"

that NO one ever saw his facilities is indeed somewhat smelly.

that he doesn't allow perfect strangers into his place is not
something to imeediately judge by. many people who take in
special-needs cats do so out of their own HOMES--they are NOT a public
shelter, usually don't have the insurance to protect themselves, nor a
desire to have folks they don't know know where they are.

FeLV cats, especially, need as stress-free an environment as possible;
having strangers coming in all the time does not meet my definition of
that.... FeLV cats tend NOT to be adopted out, so for them, a
sanctuary setting is THEIR forever home, as much as it is the human's
who care for them.

do NOT underestimate the dumping factor--and the role that
cowardice/shame plays in dumping. most people who dump do NOT call for
an appointment, nor knock on the door and say, "i'm leaving a sick cat
in a crate out in the snow at midnight--hope you find it in time!" as
most farm folk can tell you, even healthy cats are dumped on them all
the time. there are only so many cats that ANY facility can take in;
limiting access is one of the ways to prevent a bad situation from
developing.

neighbors are another very valid reason to limit access--even in
places where there are no legal limits on the number of cats one can
have, there are often technicalities that ordinary folk don't think
about when starting to take in the unwanted--special-use permits, for
example. amount of traffic is another issue--these days, anyone in
this area with a lot of coming and going traffic is gonna be looked at
as a possible meth-lab: a definite problem since cooking the
ingredients gives off a cat-urine odor! and then there are the very
real folks who just like to cause trouble--every hour spent dealing
with them means an hour that the cats DON'T get....

ON THE OTHER HAND.... volunteers and rescues who regularly work with a
facility SHOULD be allowed to see the place! the general public is one
thing, even a group that a facility has never worked with before might
be asked to meet off-site initially.

people need to investigate the shelters/rescues/sanctuaries they
relinquish cats to, just as the shelters/rescues/sanctuaries research
the folks they adopt to. there is NO way to completely weed out the
good liars and the psychos, but both sides need to do their homework.
which means talking to a NUMBER of people and groups--i don't know of
any group that doesn't have SOMEONE who hates them, often because they
were denied adoption rights. or people who find fault with EVERY
organization they contact....

we do the best we can.... we have to communicate with compassion and
honesty amongst ourselves, for the good of the critters...

--
MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]