I belong to an Abyssinnian rescue group and I've just been told about
a sweet Aby girl-cat who tested FELV+. I'm trying to get in touch with
the veterinarian who has her in Tennessee, but the situation sounds
rather grim. Apparently she's already anemic, and losing weight
despite eating well. Besides Hemobartonella and Lymphoma, does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions for me? I can't take her in if hre vet
bills are going tosky rockjet because I have alarming vet bills
already with 3 CRF cats and Deirdre who is FELV+.
Kathy and Deirdre
ps: Below is some of the information sent to me by the head of the Aby
rescue group:
 She has been retested two times and both times came up positive.
This cat isn't a kitten, she is 3 years old. The owner brought her in
for being extremely thin, despite the fact that she eats very well.
They tested her for hyperthyroidism and it was negative and that is
when they found she was anemic as well as testing positive for FeLv.
The cat lived with 3 other cats, some who went in and out of the
house.
The owner opted to euthanize her, but the veterinarian has stated
repeatedly that this girl is extremely loving and affectionate and
sweet and can't bring herself to do it. This kitty must really be a
good one.
As far as heroic measures to try to extend her life, I can't see
anyone doing that, but certainly I would love to see her in a home
situation with love and care until her quality of life starts to wane.

I really don't know if the vet can solicit $$ help from the previous
owner.  The vet says she herself can't afford her veterinary costs, so
I'm thinking that it might be a small or poor clinic.