Excellent answer, Nina – I really don’t appreciate it when a vet blames every single symptom our FeLV+ or FIV+ kitties may have to the virus they have like ---- well, FelV (or FIV for that matter) is finally catching up, there is nothing you can do…blah blah blah…

I hope you will be able to source out another vet who might be more supportive of the patients with FeLV+ just so that you have another opinion –

Hideyo

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nina
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 10:31 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Misha

For Misha's family,
I don't know what your vet is talking about.  FelV is not "attacking" her intestines.  The problem with FeLV is that it weakens their immune systems and they have a tough time fighting off any other ailments, like colds etc.  They are more prone to cancers too unfortunately, and the "drippy butt" symptom could be a sign of intestinal lymphoma.  How long has Misha had diarrhea?  From the little you told us about her symptoms it sounds like some sort of IBD (intestinal bowel disease) problem.  You need more help from your vet.  He needs to be treating whatever problems Misha has in the same way he would any other cat, (except quicker, with no 'wait and see' type attitude).  IBD, (we don't know if this is Misha's problem), is usually treated with diet change.  Some cats need to be taken off all dry food, sometimes they can't tolerate grains, sometimes vegetables, sometimes both.  The people on the IBD list I belong to, (my Gypsy has a nasty case of IBD), advocate a raw diet (the group is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FelineIBD/  )  This was the only thing that helped my cat, but you can try getting her off dry food and on one of the better canned foods first. Stick with one type of protein, (chicken, duck etc.), to help her system adjust.   There are also many homeopathic remedies that can help cats with diarrhea too, go to http://www.abchomeopathy.com/ and click on "remedy finder" to search for help with diarrhea.  Vets usually prescribe steroids, (way too soon, imo), you want to try and eliminate whatever her system is reacting to first before you reach for the heavy artillery.  When anyone has diarrhea, their body is essentially trying to 'get rid' of whatever is upsetting their systems by expelling it as fast as they can.  It's like an allergy, you have to figure out what to give Misha to eat that her body won't react to.  Go check out http://www.catnutrition.org/ for some ideas.

If your concern is the unhealthfulness of liquid diarrhea all over your house, I completely understand.  You can confine Misha to a single room, (make it as comfortable as possible and visit her often, she's not going to understand why she's being locked away), until you get the 'leaking butt' under control.  If you are worried about Felv effecting you or your baby, your fears are unfounded.  FeLV can not be transmitted to humans.  If your concern is Toxoplasmosis, you are more than likely not in danger either, (please see recent archives addressing this concern).  If you have had Misha with your other cats for six years, you do not have to be concerned about separating them.  They either have Felv already, or they're not going to get it.

Good luck, I wish you and your family the best,
Nina

Paul Jr wrote:

Hey out there I need some sugeestions/feedback about
Misha and what we should do with her.

Misha is six years old and tested pos for FeLV. We have
had her for almost 6 1/2 years. She is in good health
and none of the other cats (all share the same wate
dish) have FeLV. Misha's FeLV shows up, according to
her vet by attacking her intestines. She has chronic
bouts of what we call drippy butt. She leaves little
presents aorund the house. She has been on various
medications and recently the vet suggested Kaopectate
or Pepto Bismo, which made her problem worse.(gave her
pain and lots of diahreha) I have read aobut
medications to treat FeLV, none of which cure it just
maybe ease the symptoms. Does anyone else have a cat
with this type of FeLv and if so what do you do? Also
give me some feedback. We live in Gainesville, Fl and
my husband and I are expecting our first child in the
end of July. We have considred putting Misha down but
she seems to have so much playfullness and affection
(most of the time) that we really hate to. Money is a
problem and we are both nervous about exposing a baby
to her. Thanks for the help! Melody

CFAITH - Your Online Faith Family - http://www.cfaith.com