Hi MC,
Where are these 2 week olds coming from? No one knows the status of the mom? This is a tough one. The kittens would certainly be better off if one of the moms would accept them and let them nurse, (as would you!). Is there a reason that you suspect these babies are at risk of being positive? Did they come from a colony that is know to have positives? Before my positives came into my life, I would have thought nothing of placing kittens with surrogate moms. So many rescues do this everyday, we are just more aware of the dangers involved. I don't think you'd be able to get an accurate test as to their status, but that's a question for the vet. Can you get any more info about where they came from and what the chances of them being positive are? Nina

TenHouseCats wrote:

okay, group, need opinions here.

i currently am the estrogen zone for my part of the state--turned my
front room (formerly cat-free space, for doing crafts) into a nursery.
four condo cages, one floor-to-ceiling cat tree, scratching posts,
lots of toys, etc. 3 big windows, a/c, their own bathroom (well, their
own close-by water supply, at least!).

i currently have four nursing moms, and 24 kittens. (21 biological
kittens and 3 orphans....). all the moms are negative, so i'm assuming
the kittens are as well.

i've been asked to take in 2 two-week-old orphans. i'm wondering how
everyone defines, "PROLONGED, PERSISTENT CONTACT"--ie, do you think
that nursing for another couple of weeks would be enough to pass the
virus? i WILL test the kittens if i get them, but they're so young i'm
not sure i'll trust the results.....).  or should i just bottle-feed
them and keep them separated? (just heard from the woman who has them,
and they're not doing a bottle very well--a momcat and sibkits to
cuddle with might be much better for them, but of course i don't want
to harm the other kittens....)

thoughts, please!!!!!

thanks....