Brenda - I'm happy to hear Lovey and Merry are doing well.
Give them some neck scratches for me.
Del
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:36 AM
Subject: Re: Deirdre interferon - advice needed

Kathy.....

    I have three positive cats on the human (Alpha A) Interferon.  I give 1 ml daily which is the newest protocol as far as I know.  The research found that Interferon does not stay in the body long and by using 7 days on and then 7 days off, the effects are being negated on the 7 days off, hence the daily dose of Interferon.  I have been using the daily dosage for three years with my Peri.  He is at least 9-1/2 years old (I've had him for 7-1/2 years) and has absolutely no symptoms of FELV.  I adopted two more Felv+ cats from the Athens, GA area, where they still use gas chambers to put to sleep at their shelters, last February and have them both on a daily dose.  I would HIGHLY recommend the daily dose of 30 units which equals 1 ml daily.  Keep it refrigerated and squirt toward the back of the throat slowly.  It is absorbed through the mucous membranes at the back of the throat.

    I get my Interferon from Island Pharmacy.  They are based in Wisconsin about 90 miles from me.  In winter I pay $40.00 for 100 ml and $7 or $8 for shipping since I get it next day or in 2 days with cold packs.  When I have my vet write for all three cats, then I get 300 ml for $44.00.  When the pharmacy can mix more of the Interferon in the batch it costs less, but you have to have the prescription in all three names.  I had to just reorder for my three and even though they are close to me because it has been so hot, I had to pay for overnight shipping which was $18 something I think.  If I were you I would ask your vet to write a script for 100 ml at a time and give it 1 ml every day.  Unless I read new research that suggests giving daily is not the protocol to use, I will continue to do so.  Right now my three are healthy, happy and act like normal wonderful cats.  Peri is at least 9-1/2 years, Lovey is about 1-1/2 years and Merry is around 2 years.

    My very best to you and Deirdre.  I hope she has many, many wonderful years with you. :)

--

     Brenda.....

     http://www.whiskersandwicks.com
     http://www.cheqnet.net/~bksmith

"The only risk you ever run in befriending a cat is enriching yourself." - Colette

Don't Take Your Organs To Heaven.  Heaven Knows We Need Them Here.

Kathy Gittel wrote:
I want to thank everyone who responded here. It appears that human
interferon dies when it's hot and everyone charges $20-28 for special
over night cold pack shipping. So I paid $50 for 60mls of interferon.
The interferon itself only cost $28, but the shipping was $22.

After 4 days on it, her lymph nodes under her chin have gotten much
smaller. They've been enlarged since a month ago when she had a cold.
I was amazed that there was an improvement so quickly.

My vet and I are unsure whether to do the "7 days on 7 days off"
routine with the interferon or just give her 1 ml a day forever. What
are you folks doing? What do you think works best? And is everyone
giving 1ml/daily?

Kathy and Deirdre (we don't know what we'd do without this list)

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.