Hi Janine,

I'm in Arkansas - our rescue has quite a few cats and kittens. We test initially with the Elisa test when the kitties come into the program. We buy the tests in bulk, and then have a participating vet tech do the test. Then if the cat tests positive, we test again with the Elisa in 3 to 6 months. More than once, we've had kittens test positive at first, then go negative on the second test.

We have a few people who will take FELV cats. It's not that contagious, in my experience, and according to the vet i've used often. I've also found a disarming array of opinions (and ignorance) among vets about FELV.

Best of luck,

Gloria