Oh Susan, I'm so sorry about Butternut. What a story. Such a special boy! What a miracle that he found his way to you! I wish I could be there to hold your hand and try and comfort you. His time was too short, but filled with love and belonging. What a wonderful gift to have given each other. Such a terrible loss.

My felv babies were born with it too. I know the fear of living with the knowledge that any day could be the day they take a downturn they won't recover from. At 3 1/2 years old, and "wonderfully healthy and happy" all that time, you must have been hoping that somehow he had escaped the fate of so many others. I know MC says we should never say "I know how you feel", but I truly believe I do. There are 3 remaining kittens from my litter of 6 bottle babies still with us, (they're now approaching 2 yrs). Two of them are, like Butternut, perfectly healthy and happy. Gracie, as you may remember from my posts, has been sick off and on again since she was about 5 mos old. I do know what it's like to live with the dread and the optimism they inspire. It makes no difference that they live "longer than expected". It hurts like hell to lose them. Keep your heart and mind open to the signs that Butternut is still with you. Watch your other kitties for behaviors that you would only have expected from him. It's comforting to know they are still with us in spirit, but so very hard to adjust to the absence of their physical presence. Give yourself time and the permission to grieve.

You did right by him all his young life. From the moment you heard about him, until the moment you released him from the suffering that he would have endured had you not. You loved him fully and he returned your love. Bless you for being such a good mom.
Nina

Susan Loesch wrote:

Yesterday I lost Butternut to this evil disease.  He was 3 1/2 years
old - so I know he has lived longer than most babies born positive - but
is wasn't long enough. It never is, is it.
I am in Arkansas and over 3 years ago there was a situation in the
northern part of the state - out in the sticks somewhere - where lots of
cats were left at a trailer park of some sort.  It was in the news that a
vet had been hired to euthanize them all.

2 members of our rescue group headed up there to see what could be done
-- all they managed to save was one little orange tabby boy, Butternut,
who tested positive for feleuk.  Since I already had feleuk babies,
including Gloria's Mittens and my Leader and their littermates, who were
the same age as Butternut, I took him.  He has been wonderfully healthy
and happy and very much loved for the whole of his short life.
Over the last couple of days he went downhill fast and yesterday lost the use of his hind legs. We chose to free him before he began to really suffer. I know he is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with Mittens and the rest of
our feleuk babies.  Thanks.