Thank you, Jenn for all your kind words and for those great links; I will be sure to get the information to my vet.  It helps to have loving people who are of the same mind confirm what you know somewhere deep inside to be the best course of action.  Given the prognosis for Mandy, I don't think I can put her through the surgery.  I lost my Lucky to mammary cancer earlier this year and she had a pretty good prognosis; after the surgery they felt she had about 6-12 months of good life.  The cancer hadn't spread to her lungs or any vital organs; in less than 2 months, she was filled with cancer.

I can't terrorize Paulie just to keep him with me a bit longer.

Thanks again for your support.

Love, Julie

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Oh Julie, I'm so sorry to hear all of the bad news. I don't know if you are soliciting advice, but if so:

Mandy: I don't think I would put her through that surgery. I think I would watch her closely, and when she begins to have trouble eating, or shows obvious signs of pain, I would euthanise her. It just sounds like it's not something that you can fix, and even trying to sounds like it would cause her more suffering than prolonging any good times.

Paulie: I would just let he be himself. It is likely, with him being feral, that some day he might just not show up for his feeding, and will go off under some house or bush to die, but I think trying to prolong his life would cause him much stress, and only buy him a few months, if he is in failure.

Cosmo: Hard to say what to do, but if he is not in any pain, I see no reason to put him through surgery. I know your radiologist said it couldn't be splinted, but handicapped pets is JUST about to release a NEW improved splint for pets, and maybe the new design could work in this case where the old way wont help. From their September newsletter:
"Orthopedic knee, hock, and wrist braces: I know that several people are waiting for our braces. Were 'almost there.' We're completing our final research on the product and will be putting up the site, we expect, within a few weeks. We just need to make sure they're right."

And here is the link to their original design, possible your vet was unaware it existed?

 http://www.handicappedpets.com/splints/

Keep an eye on this page, it should appear here when they release the new design braces:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/products.htm

Good luck Julie, I know it's a lot to handle at one time, you're doing so good to be as calm and thinking so clearly as you are!

Jenn
http://ucat.us
http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Adopt a cat from UCAT rescue:
http://ucat.us/adopt.html
Adopt a FIV+ cat:
http://ucat.us/AWrescue/FIV/
http://ucat.us/FIVadopt.html
Adopt a FELV+ cat:
http://ucat.us/FELVadopt.html
"Saving one animal won't make a difference in the world, but it will make a world of difference for that one animal."

"I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is
to protection by man from the cruelty of man. "

by the way its animals are treated."

Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

Paws Come WITH Claws!!!

If you're thinking about de-clawing your cat, you need to re-think your decision to acquire a pet.