Julie - my heart goes out to you. Sending lots of prayers, good wishes and positive vibes. Thinking of you -

Gloria

At 08:21 PM 9/6/2005, you wrote:
Julie,

I'm sorry for all you are going through right now. It really gets tough as your cats start to age. I'm dealing with some of that now with my crew. You just have to do the best you can knowing each cat as well as you do. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
tonya

Julie Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have some sad news to share. First, Mandy's biopsies are back and she has oral squamous cell carcinoma. The entire back of her tongue is involved. We are consulting a surgeon, but her prognosis is very poor, indeed. The surgery would be horrendous (possibly removing part of her jaw, too), followed by radiation therapy. Even with this extreme treatment, the recurrance rate for this kind of cancer is very high; I understand sometimes within just a couple of months. Mandy is a sweet little girl (Tater Tot's sister) who loves to come visit on her terms, but does not like being handled. Medicating her and syringe-feeding are nearly impossible. I'm not sure at this point what we will do or not do.

Paulie, (the father of Mandy and Tater) is 7 years old and is in renal failure. He is feral and although I can capture him when I have to, I would need to keep him in his own room to get treatment. When he had the corneal ulcer, it was a much different story and we had a treatment plan and a projected outcome. For CRF, I can't see imposing that on him just to keep him a bit longer. He is eating again and seems a bit more like himself (won't let me pet him!) so we'll just see how he does.

Cosmo has a dislocated ankle and according to the consulting radiologist, it cannot be splinted. He would need surgery to have the bones fused and he would then have a stiff leg that he couldn't bend at the wrist. I have to investigate this more, because we all agree that he is starting to put more weight on the leg and the bones may actually be fusing in this position which is not much different than it would be after surgery. Again, not sure how we will proceed for him. He does not seem to be in any pain; you can move his leg every which-way and he does not make a peep or try to pull his paw away. He just obviously favors the leg.

I'm just overwhelmed by all this. It's breaking my heart. Having so many cats, I knew that a day would likely come when I had several who were ill all at the same time, and that has certainly happened before. I've not faced or dealt with so many probably being terminal, though. I suppose one can never fully prepare for that emotionally.

Thanks for listening, everyone, and please keep my "kids" in your thoughts.

Love, Julie

"I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is
to protection by man from the cruelty of man. "

by the way its animals are treated."

Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

Paws Come WITH Claws!!!

If you're thinking about de-clawing your cat, you need to re-think your decision to acquire a pet.

<http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/>Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.