When they are not producing RBC's, Epogen or Procrit sometimes helps.  This is because failure to produce RBC's sometimes comes from the kidneys not sending a hormone they are supposed to send out that tells the bone marrow to produce RBC's.  Procrit and Epogen are synthetic copies of that hormone.
Michelle