Wendy,

Prayers for you and your Cricket.  I have not used either of those drugs but many others will share their info and experiences.  You probably know that when kitties are stressed their temp will rise so you might want to take it at home.  Can you ask for a tranquilizer for Cricket to take before he goes to the vet to reduce his stress, or use Rescue Remedy?  My kitties have not responded to Rescue Remedy but other folks have had good luck with it.  It sounds like he might need something more potent than RR though.  Just a thought.  My Noah must be given some Iso for a blood draw and mouth exam and that works good for him because it's quick, they come right out of it.  Good luck.

Del
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 3:15 PM
Subject: My baby Cricket is sick; I need some encouragement

Hi my name is Wendy.  I live in Texas.  I have a black
cat named Cricket; he's 4 yrs., 5 mo's. old and a
great cat.  He absolutely hates the vet, so the last
time I took him was about two years ago when he got
really sick.  They told me they couldn't tell his
actual temperature because it was all the way to the
end of the thermometer.  It took virtually the whole
staff to give him an injection of antibiotics and take
his blood, after they broke two needles off in his
back.  The vet said that he tested positive for FeLV.
When I figured out that the vet hadn't given him any
fluids intraveneously for 18 hours after I had asked
him to (Cricket wasn't eating or drinking on his own),
I took him home and with the help of antibiotics and
syringe-feeding and a lot of love, he made it back to
life.  The vet told me he'd never seen a cat that sick
come back.  He's been fine for two years.  At the end
of September, we had a houseful of family during
Hurricane Rita and shortly after that, I noticed that
Cricket wasn't quite making it when he jumped onto the
cabinets to drink water out of the sink.  He started
eating kitty litter and wasn't eating as much.  He
began to walk slowly and when he came up to me and
meowed (he never meows), I knew something was wrong.
The (new) vet prescribed Clavamox without seeing
Cricket because of his stressful history when visiting
the vet.  After two days on the medicine, he seemed to
be doing better, but a couple of days later, I noticed
how white his mouth was and started doing some
research.  Well, as many of you already know because
you've done this drill, things are looking grim for
Cricket.  We have an appointment at the vet in a
couple of hours and it's all I can do to stay at work.
 I know whatever ends up happening is going to happen,
but I can't help but keep thinking and worrying about
him.  I am normally pretty logical and level-headed,
but I cried all day yesterday after reading all the
negative information about anemia and FeLV.  I do have
some hope however.  I am hoping the vet will know
about Immuno-Regulin or even better, Virbagen Omega,
which is a Feline Omega Interferon.  Both are supposed
to help immensely with boosting the immune system.  I
really don't know how the vet is going to be able to
take Cricket's blood to find out what the numbers are
so we can treat him for the anemia; Cricket gets so
crazy.  He may end up being his own worst enemy.  I
just wanted to ask if anyone has had any success with
their cats taking these drugs?  Also, if anyone
reading this will pray for Cricket and that the vet
will be a good one and that we can get Cricket back to
normal for as long as we can.  I promised that I would
not allow Cricket to suffer for selfish reasons, but I
don't want to end his life prematurely either.  Pray
for wisdom for the vet and for me.  And thank you all
so much.  I was relieved to find this site.

http://farechase.yahoo.com