Chrissy,
Just because one tests positive does NOT mean that another will, even littermates. I rescued 6, 2 1/2 week old kittens that I am sure contracted felv from their momma. One of the kittens from that litter, Tim, (now 2 yrs), has tested negative. I'm sorry to hear you are giving up loved ones for adoption because you fear for your negatives, it's so sad! I do understand your fears, I'm not even saying they aren't warranted, it's just a shame that these babies aren't going to share their lives in a home where we KNOW they will be loved and cared for. When I learned that my bottle babies were positive, there was no choice for me, I was in love and committed to them. They had already been mixed with my negatives, (none of my negatives, who were adults and had been vaccinated, ever became positive). They weren't going anywhere, and I wasn't about to segregate them from the family. I wish you the best, and I especially pray that Emilio and Frito find a loving compassionate home.
Nina

Christine Ott wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all again for your kind words of support. My mother has taken Emilio and Frito's mommy, and she's named her Lady. Lady tested negative for FeLv, but we're worried that she might test positive once the virus has had a chance to incubate (again??). She's very healthy and alert, and probably no more than 2 years old, so we're hoping no matter what the outcome of the test, she'll have a long life.

A recap/update of the situation:
Emilio tested positive for the virus; on both the screening and the official test (Hardy test??). Frito was not able to be tested because she was whipped into a frenzy with the vet. Everyone has told me that since they are so "tight" and share bowls, groom, play together, that we should assume that Frito is also positive.

Emilio is congested, but for the most part, not too plugged up. He is alert and playful and both he and his sister have become very outgoing in the weeks they've been separated from their mommy.

I have so many doubts and reservations, but we'll be sending Emilio and Frito to The Best Little Cat House in Pennsylvania this weekend. I doubt myself constantly about Frito, in particular...what if she is negative? or what if she's positive, but one of those who carries, rather than gets sick from the virus? Am I doing the right thing?? We have five healthy cats in the house, but if I didn't, I would keep these kittens...my cats aren't vaccinated - and now I have to wait because they need to be retested....oi! What a mess this became, gut-wrenching and stressful.

It's given me a whole new respect for the folks who work at the shelters; as well as for what y'all are doing. So many times, professionals just recommend euthanasia, and while, intellectually, I can understand (to a degree), I just can't do it, and I'm so glad that so many of you are giving your FeLv + babies a chance. The more of us who do, the more likely a cure will be found, I think. I hope.

So, it's in that hope for a cure that I was brainstorming for a fundraising idea, and wanted to run it by everyone here. First of all, is there are good research scientist/institution who might be underfunded who could continue researching a cure, with more money? Or would any money be better off going to a shelter/hospice for sick kitties?

I'm a freelance graphic artist and my mother is a watercolor painter; we were planning to collaborate to make a set of handmade Christmas cards with Emilio and Frito on them to sell...we'd donate all of the proceeds to a good feline leukemia cause (research or shelter). Do you think the idea will fly? Any good sales avenues to pursue? Craft shows? Online groups? Animal organizations?

I was also thinking about other non-holiday merchandise, like calendars, regular greeting cards, etc. maybe with images of other felv+ kitties. I would be willing to work with any of you here -- if you wanted to send me photos of your kitties, help me promote the items, etc.

Emilio and Frito's situation and all of your stories have touched me, and in many cases, broken my heart. I cried for hours after reading Mandy's story! I am learning about my own limitations, and I'm not sure if I have it in me to continue to do much in the way of hands-on stuff with the cats in my neighborhood, though I will try (it's getting cold and no one else helps them). In the meantime, I am committed to continuing to help in other areas, like fundraising.

Please let me know what you think.

Chrissy
Trenton, NJ
www.ottseetotsee.com