Ken,

1) I am surprised no one will type the blood as part of the transfusion. That is how it was done for Simon, and the whole transfusion, including typing and flushing, was about $400-- and at a large university hospital near Boston.  Have you tried looking for a larger hospital?

2) They gave him Simon a Benadryl shot prior to the transfusions, I believe, in order to counteract a possible allergic reaction. No pred, but he was already on pred.

3) It is fine to give pred even to a weak animal-- it makes them feel stronger, actually.  Very strong steroids can weaken the immune system in some cases, but if he is having an auto-immune response  or he has cancer he should be on pred anyway.

Michelle