Kerry,

Check with some of the animal shelters/animal control officers in the
area.  More and more are being equipped with scanners - so no vet need be
involved just to find out if one is even there.

I like the KFC suggestion - but just in case the owner makes a stink, go
to http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/feral_cat_shelter.pdf to get ideas on how
to build an inexpensive cat shelter to keep the kitty out of the elements.

If the guy doesn't even want an outdoor shelter for the kitty - I would go
with the KFC just off the property, with alot of calling/coaxing/etc.

Good luck!
Kat (Mew Jersey)