-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin
Blaisdell
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 4:16 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: RE: Moving overseas need advice FELV cat

Yes I am going to retest even though I was originally
given the impression she was permenent with this
condition.  The fact that she still seems fine despite
what everyone said made me figure who knows.  I get a
lot of other bad info so maybe that was bad info too
and she somehow is healthy.  Of course that still
leaves me with a dilemma, but a better chance of
finding a home.

Right now she gets everything except bedroom access
since my girlfriend is allergic (cat came first).  My
girlfriend has been real good about it and I also
invested in an air cleaner, HEPA vacuum, and have
hardwood floors.  I live in a townhome with a number
of levels and if I had to guess minus the bedroom she
probably has 1100-1200 sq ft.  However, she primarily
sticks to "her" room.  I have a 2nd bedroom I don't
use and has become her room where she like to either
sit on the heat vent or lay on the bed.

When I first took her in due to other neg cats (a
litter of hers) she had to stay in one small room for
a long time.  Maybe half a year later I bought my own
place and she has been living in this setup.

As far as India it is really tough to know for sure
officially.  It sounds like it could be not too much
issue or from what I have heard a good chance that I
will be pushed into some type of bribe.  That isn't
really the problem area.  The multiple issues that
made me rule out bringing her are;
- From what I understand you a "health certificate" is
required for flying with a cat.  My impression is I
can't get this because of the FELV+.
- I hear a lot about FELV+ and stress interactions.
Whether this is accurate or not I suspect even a lot
of healthy and totally domestic (not so shy/scared)
cats would  not survive a 22-25hr trip.
- My understanding is that household (pet) cats are a
very unusual thing in India.  When I first arrive I am
supposed to stay for a few months in short term guest
housing (cross between hotel and apt).  With these
things in mind it sounds so far like the begging part
would be impossible and the later part (finding my
long term apt) would be very difficult with a cat
because of landlord rules and expectations.
- I am going to be going via Singapore and I am
guessing would have to navigate their regulations as
well.  I don't even want to think about what those are
since chewing gum is illegal.
- Finally one of the biggest ones is that I could have
trouble getting her back into the US.  I am not 100%
on if I could get her back in, but I did discover that
she would be required to go through a quarantine
period.  I think this could be really hard on her.

As you can see I thought about and researched this
some when the sitution came up.  If I could afford to
I would even leave her at home and have someone take
care of her.  Unfortunately, especially with this
employement change I can't afford to do that and have
to rent my place.  Maybe I should have posted my
message different "Looking for caretaker who can pay
rent in Chicago" :).

I really wish there was a quality, affordable type of
long term caretaking thing for cats, but as far as I
know there isn't anything like that.

Kevin

--- "MacKenzie, Kerry N."