Ah,  only a cat would have to put up with a choice
between amputation and being homeless.

www.catsinternational.org has excellent information on
how to "train" a cat.  They've toned down their
article on declawing for some reason, but still make
some good points in it.  Feline Future also has a good
article on declawing, without sounding hysterical.

Janine