Wendy,

I had a cat that was just plain hornery.  He had to be sedated at the vet's a lot of times because he would growl, bite, etc... (and no, he wasn't feral, he was just mean! lol)  Anyway,  I could handle him much better at home than they could at the office.

When I gave him sub-q he would try to walk around, squirm, etc... wouldn't get mad, just wouldn't be still and I didn't want to set him off.  I would sit with a little can of treats and give him treats when I gave him fluids.  That made him want to stay with me.

Just an idea that might help.

"MacKenzie, Kerry N." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Wendy, I'm barely keeping up with posts but see you're looking at giving fluids---believe me, if I can do it anyone can!  I'm as clumsy and squeamish as they come! A housecall vet showed me last year without me asking otherwise I know I would never have asked/learned. I get the impression that any vet or tech worth their salt should be happy to demonstrate. (They know it's a tremendous waste of $$$ to have a vet/tech do it when you can do it yourself. Better to save the $$$ for everything else.)

Like anything new, have someone experienced like eg a vet or tech or shelter volunteer show you how it's done. It really is very simple. It's not like a vein has to be found--the needles just goes under the skin--you just grasp the skin on either the left or right side of the cat, and pull it up into a "tent" shape---the demonstrator will show you where--insert the needle, then unlock the water flow, and watch the numbers on the bag until the prescribed amount has been administered. I do it with my foster, Pookie, every 2 days, and it takes about 2 mins. It's actually quite a bonding experience, I feel. The experts say a dehydrated cat always feels immediately better. (I give Pookie a Feline Greenie treat immediately after, so that makes him feel good too. It also makes me feel good that I can do this for Pookie as I think maybe not all the shelter's foster parents have yet learned to give subQs.)

Someone else on this list said recently they felt mortified by the early-day mistakes they made--not sure if this was in reference to subQs or something else. But that sure rang a bell with me. I either was not told at all, or it wasn't stressed, by the housecall vet that a NEW needle had to be used every time (for sharpness--just one use blunts the needle; and sterility reasons---when you withdraw a needle it has tissue on it. Someone else will put me right if I haven't quite explained this properly.)  This is second nature to medical people but not necessarily to laypeople!! So I recall now with some anguish my sessions with poor Caramel, who being feral, was already stressed out by my having to catch him and pin him down (with help of friend) to give him fluids. I probably hydrated him 5 times and I don't believe I changed the needle once. This only dawned on me recently when I was being briefed by the shelter re Pookie. I felt and still feel terrible about poor Caramel.

It took me a little while to get to a point with Pookie where I was only using one needle per session--sometimes I'd prick my own finger before even getting to him, which meant a change of needle was required. Or, he would move suddenly and the needle would slip out, again requiring a new needle.

Something else I'll mention---the first time I had to change a bag, I was totally baffled after doing it because I couldn't see the fluid line in the bag, so there was no way to tell how much was being administered. The simple solution was to detach and reattach the "tubing" from the fluid bag--doing that introduced air, and that allowed the fluid line to become visible. But I'm no scientist----someone had to tell me that. And by the time I found out what to do, I'd wasted half the bag in an effort to "find the fluid line"!

Also, if ever the fluid seems not to be flowing I give the little oblong fluid reservoir a squeeze and that seems to solve that prob.

What else? Well, it's a bit of a fiddle at the beginning endowed as we are with only 2 hands, but 3 areas to control---cat, needle and bag. But practice makes, if not entirely perfect, less imperfect!

Good luck! It's def easier than learning to ride a bike! And a great skill for a cat mom/dad to have! Kerry PS One more thing---I hear from my shelter counsellor contact that fluids are much cheaper online. Needles too. I think I was ripped off by the housecall vet. I paid $41 for delivery of one bag.