Hooray for Merry and Michelle too!  I Michelle don't try to downplay your help.  Just having your ideas as an attorney have helped Hideyo hang in there.  It sounds like finding Merry was a Godsend.  I hope all of this pans out.  It's sad (no offense intended to any attorneys or those in enforcement)......... but it IS sad how easily 'regular' people can be treated in these situations.  Most people are very rightly afraid of going to jail and afraid of the large attorney fees that add up so quickly.  It's certainly not one of America's 'best' systems, but then people in other countries have no 'system' at all.

It's easy to say I would fight if this happened to me.  But if it came to criminal charges that might land me in jail, or court/attorney costs that might cause me to lose my home anyway.  I don't know what I'd do.  I admire anyone who will stand up for what is right in these kinds of situations!!  Go Hideyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tonya

Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
HOORAY for Merry too!!  And of course let's not forget your part in all this.  Michelle, (don't argue with me), please take a bow.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Yes, Merry, Hideyo's attorney, called me yesterday to tell me what her hopes are for the case (I had referred Hideyo to her) and said she was so glad that I referred Hideyo to her because she had seen several people harrassed by animal control in Albuquerque into giving up their cats and she could not get those people to fight back because they were so intimidated by the criminal charges, etc. She was so glad to meet Hideyo and see someone willing to stand up to animal control, and to be able to help her get rid of the bad ordinance (still not final, but she seems very hopeful).  She is so impressed by how feisty, energetic, and smart Hideyo is, and so happy to be working with her.

Michelle