If they revoked a permit you could challenge that in court, and have the fight be about that.

I understand your fear based on what happened to your friend. That is truly horrible.  I wonder if, based on this having happened, you can get something in writing with the permit, like they can show up unannounced but can only enter if you are there and must allow you to open and close all doors in order to prevent your cats from getting outside, etc.