Thanks to all of you for your comforting words. I really appreciate them. I'm also glad you liked Ember's pictures. Our family has had several black cats over the years, but Ember was our first fluffy, black kitty. About a year after I adopted Ember in Madison, my parents took in Sidney, who looks like a giant Ember with a longer tail. Bonnie, when the Sun shines on Ember, I can see very dark brown, along with her stripes. Wendy, Cricket's pictures are great. He was a beautiful kitty. I especially liked the "bad Cricket" picture. Sometimes they're at their best when they're making mischief.

I'm finally getting used to keeping Ember isolated, and I think she is too. It never caused her much stress. I'm finding that having her by herself allows me to monitor food/water/litterbox habits better than if she was out and about. She does sometimes wake up at night, seemingly with the intent to get into something. I need to pick up a few more toys that we can play with together. Since the boys tested negative, I'd worry a lot less about them (especially since they're now vaccinated) than I would that Ember might pick up something from our outdoor cat. I'll talk to the vet about this to see what he thinks.

Wendy, I would definitely like your FeLV post collection. The info that you, Nina and others have given me has been very helpful. Congrats on adopting the little girl. You'll have to post some pictures soon. Take care, all.

Lance