I took in a cat back in November (Smokey) before I
brought him into the household I took him to the vet
and had him checked and tested for felv.  The test
showed negative.  I brought him home and let him be
around some of my other cats.  All of my other cats
had been vaccinated every year.  Then in December
Smokey started running a fever.  Every time the vet
could get his fever down well in 2 or 3 days it was
back again.  Finally they tested him for felv again
this time it was positive.  The vet told me that he
probably was recently exposed to the virus and the 1st
time he was tested it hadn't had time to show up in
his bloodstream.  I was freaked about my other cats.
I took all to the vet and had them tested all were
negative.  The vet wanted to recheck in 3 months so on
May 6 they will go back.  I am keeping my fingers
crossed.  This is my first experience with felv.  I
ended up changing vets for Smokey.  He is doing good
so far.  I still take my other cats to my old vet.  I
have been going there for probably 12 years and they
feel like family.  I just didn't think they were the
best to treat felv.  My old vet did tell me that they
have changed their protocol since Smokey.  They test
and retest in 3 months.  They had never had this
happen before.  I don't mix my cats now.  I have a
room for Smokey to stay in and I go spend time with
him and he has lots of toys.  For me I just didn't
want the worry.

Cindy