Does anyone know of an internist in the Philadelphia suburban region?  WOuld University of Pennsylvania Vet Hospital be a place to check?

Niki
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: Anemia

Niki,
   The things you are doing (steroids, immuno-regulin) are a good start, but you need to find out what is causing the anemia. If it is lymphoma, he will not get better without chemo (which might or might not put him into remission). If it is hemobartonella, he needs doxicycline (and probably should be on it just in case, as hemobart is hard to diagnose). If he is not producing new red blood cells he may need Epogen.

   I would recommend bringing him to an internist, if you can, at a larger clinic or hospital, and seeing if the internist can run the proper tests to try to see what is wrong. There have been several people on this list who have successfully reversed anemia in their positive cats, usually through a combo of Epogen, steroids, doxicycline, and pet tinic, as well as immuno-regulin in one case (seemed to help a lot) and iron shots in another.  My Simon had very bad anemia from lymphoma in his bone marrow, and a combo of chemo and strong steroids got his hematocrit almost back to normal for a couple of months.  So you need to find out what is wrong, or at least try to cover as many bases as possible.

Michelle