Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 10:22 AM
Subject: Kitten newly diagnosed

Hi,
I adopted sisters, Lucy and Izzie, from a shelter at 4 months old. Without going into too much detail, they are now 7 months old and I have just learned that Lucy is positive. She is symptomatic, she had a high fever and URI in the beginning of May, went on antibiotics, but within a few days of being off the antibiotics she had a fever of 105.5, had difficulty walking, went from 5.9 pounds to 5.1 in a very short period of time, and was one depressed little kitty. She went on antibiotics last Monday and was diagnosed as positive that day. She has really perked up, she's gained most of the weight back, is running, jumping, and playing with Izzie, but the vet seems to think that as soon as she goes of the antibiotics she will most likely get sick again.

I had Izzie tested and she is negative. After many discussions with three different vets I decided to keep them together as it seems most likely Izzie caught it and fought it already. I've made the decision that the quality of their life together is what's most important right now and hoping that Izzie stays negative.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting pieces of information out there. Does Interferon work for kitties who are symptomatic? One of the vets suggested I just keep Lucy on antibiotics until they stopped working, he thought Interferon wouldn't help as she had advanced this far.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Maggie