Thank you for mentioning those damn plastic can holders! I was going to write about them myself.
Nina

Belinda wrote:

Unfortunately it isn't just the kitties at my home that may have problems with dental floss. It's the critters scouring the garbage dumping grounds that may get into it and harm themselves. I have flushed the dental floss for years and years and not ever had a problem. I also thoroughly cut up plastic can holders so no animal can get their head stuck in one of the circles, even the teenye weenye ones so little birds don't get stuck in them.

Maybe put it in a ziploc baggy and keep it in a safe place until it's full and then dispose of it in the garbage. Or once it's full put in a big coffee can and throw a match in.