From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rachel
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:11 AM
To: Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Devastated...Mr. Dobbs My New FIV Rescue Died After Neuter Surgery

There are days like this when I don't know why I continue to take in new FIV and FeLV cases.  Mr. Dobbs was a gorgeous pure white, long-haired previous stray that tested FIV positive and was being boarded by a local vet until they could find a rescue to take him.  We had offered to take him in, he was healthy and the vet neutered him, vaccinated him, including Rabies yesterday morning as a courtesy for us.

I picked him up yesterday afternoon and fell instantly in love with him.  He was so affectionate.  He would give me hugs and he seemed alert and fine after the surgery.  I gave him water and checked on him every hour and finally around 11pm last night before I went to bed.

This morning I went to feed him and he was laying by the door, already passed on.  There was a small amount of blood where his mouth had layed.  I feel just terrible that this sweet loving guy spent his last hours alone and I didn't realize that anything was wrong.  He seemed fine, no trouble breathing, his feces looked good, he was drinking, he was happy.  What went wrong?  A blood clot?

I called the vet and they are shocked.  In all my years of doing rescue I've never had a cat died after a spay/neuter surgery, even the FeLV or FIV positive ones.  Has anyone had this happen?  Is there something I could have done to prevent it?

Rachel

Operation Foster Felix
"Sharing Our Hearts, Homes & Litter Boxes"