i am so sorry.  I know how devastating this is.

I did have a young Persian (not FIV or FELV) die after a spay.  She was very sweet, healthy, less than a year old.  I talked with another vet about it, and check with the Persian list for their opinion.  I think the vet office did not pay proper attention to the problem of the airway in the flat-faced varieties, and put her in a cage to recover, without more constant monitoring.  Some vets insist on intubating Persians, but that wasn't done in this case.  She died in the cage, after the surgery.  But she wasn't to the point of drinking yet, like yours.

Gloria

On Jul 8, 2006, at 5:27 PM, catatonya wrote:

My condolences as well.  I'm so sorry.

tonya

"Doljan, Joan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am so sorry about Mr.. Dobbs. I had a cat die once in a trap on the way to the vet. I still trap, but will never get over it.

Joan
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Rachel
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:11 AM
To: Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Devastated...Mr. Dobbs My New FIV Rescue Died After Neuter Surgery

There are days like this when I don't know why I continue to take in new FIV and FeLV cases.  Mr. Dobbs was a gorgeous pure white, long-haired previous stray that tested FIV positive and was being boarded by a local vet until they could find a rescue to take him.  We had offered to take him in, he was healthy and the vet neutered him, vaccinated him, including Rabies yesterday morning as a courtesy for us.

I picked him up yesterday afternoon and fell instantly in love with him.  He was so affectionate.  He would give me hugs and he seemed alert and fine after the surgery.  I gave him water and checked on him every hour and finally around 11pm last night before I went to bed.

This morning I went to feed him and he was laying by the door, already passed on.  There was a small amount of blood where his mouth had layed.  I feel just terrible that this sweet loving guy spent his last hours alone and I didn't realize that anything was wrong.  He seemed fine, no trouble breathing, his feces looked good, he was drinking, he was happy.  What went wrong?  A blood clot?

I called the vet and they are shocked.  In all my years of doing rescue I've never had a cat died after a spay/neuter surgery, even the FeLV or FIV positive ones.  Has anyone had this happen?  Is there something I could have done to prevent it?

Rachel

Operation Foster Felix
"Sharing Our Hearts, Homes & Litter Boxes"