Here's a paste from Michelle's article:
"Sodium bentonite, a naturally swelling clay, is often added as an extremely effective clumping agent. When liquid is added, bentonite swells to approximately 15 times its original volume. But because sodium bentonite acts as an expandable cement would, litters containing sodium bentonite should never be flushed; when they expand they can block plumbing."

I don't know if they are mandated to list ingredients like sodium bentonite, or silica on the labels of kitty litter. I think a good rule of thumb, (at least the one I'm going to follow), is, if it is a clumping clay litter, don't use it. I would certainly not use it for kittens or sick cats that might eat or lick litter. It seems to me it wouldn't be good for any cat because they will probably ingest at least some litter when grooming themselves after, um, visiting the box. And there's the problem with inhaling the stuff too. I did read that litters like Johnny cat, you know, plain clay litters, don't carry the same risks.
Nina

Hideyo Yamamoto wrote:

How do we know if they use sodium bentonite?  Will they say it if they
do,, or if they use clay, they have to use sodium bentonite?