Hi Nina!
    Jimi Too Cool's vet seems to be clueless about where the pain is emanating from.  He was just guessing stomach or esophagus.  I will do some re-reading, I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that stomatitis can affect other organs, hmmm.....  I think the mystery is that he really does not have the stomatitis anymore, though, since his mouth is looking good now, if the strict definition is about the mouth (mouth=stoma, I think?).  I will do some more reading, thanks, Nina.

    I have given him Pepcid in the past so I have a dose calculated for him.  I could mash some up in his food to see if it helps or not, good idea.  I haven't noticed certain foods causing the pain since his mouth healed up but I will try and make note if there is a correlation.  I tend to feed him only food that I know he can tolerate at most any time, such as juice from cat food cans, human baby food, Hills A/D and he does well with milk and dairy products, surprisingly.  And he loves them.  Actually, I will keep these tips handy for the next time around because happily, he is eating well right now!  And a lot, yay!!!  The depo-medrol kicked in last night!  :-)

Thanks again,
Anne and Jimi Too Cool, Simms and Sophie in MI among other furry friends

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi Anne!
I've always loved Jimi Too Cool's name, and I remember Sophie too.  I'm
so sorry to hear about Jimi's distress when eating.  Isn't that just the
worst?  To watch them be interested, to know they are hungry, and then
to see them react to something as benign as food with pain and terror!
I don't know enough about stomatitis to advise you, I do remember
reading that it can eventually effect other organs and bodily
functions.  What does your vet say?  Would Pepcid or Reglan help?  Does
he have the same reaction to everything he eats?  I wish I could offer
solutions, you and he are in my prayers that you find relief for him
very soon.
Nina

Anne Gatica wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>     I feel so badly that I can't keep up with the posts on this great
> list as I used to do, although I do try when I can.
>
>     I haven't posted for a while but probably the people who have been
> on the list for while  will know my Jimi Too Cool.  I also have sweet
> Sophie as my friend, (who had the destroyed anus situation), too, but
> today it's about Jimi Too Cool.
>
>     Jimi Too Cool, 8, FeLV+, had been doing pretty well but he has
> needed depo-medrol injections more and more often as he aged for his
> severe chronic stomatitis.  He has gotten to the point that the shot
> will only last him about 2 weeks.  I had switched him to Metacam for a
> while but last time I tried and gave two hefty Metacam doses in a row,
> neither kicked in for him.
>
>     I am sick at heart because he is down to 8 lbs. from his strapping
> 18 lbs. at one time and his hair is coming out in clumps.  He gets
> PetTinic, CoQ10, lysine (and clindamycin as needed), pretty
> regularly.  His mouth checks out just fine at the vets lately.  The
> last six times he has gone, they have found nothing in his mouth to
> indicate stomatitis.  He has terrible pain when trying to eat, though,
> crying out in pain after a few bites, (when he is doing poorly).  So I
> am pretty sure it has to do with his digestive tract.  Does stomatitis
> "travel"?  Anyone else had the problem of the pain going down into
> unseen regions like that?
>
>    He got a shot on Saturday and just started eating this morning.  He
> drank small amounts of "juice" from canned cat food, some human baby
> food, some milk and ate a bit of chunks of cat food.  He did well
> until he ate a good bit and then gagged and ran in pain.  I am
> thinking that the food level maybe reached the area where he has
> pain?  Like esophogus or upper stomach?
>
>     Jimi is terrible to catch and treat.  He is a loving, sweet
> wonderful boy but don't try to catch him and take him to the vet or
> try to syringe him some medicine.  It is a real struggle every time,
> battle of wits, for sure.  I am also having a rough time financially
> so can't afford pricey investigations, although I would sell things if
> I knew a procedure or test would possibly save him.
>
>    If anyone has any ideas or input on what can be done for my boy or
> shared experiences, I would appreciate it so much.
>
>    My goal is to just keep my boy pain free and to make his life
> fairly good.  If he continues to have such pain, though, I know I will
> have to make a decision.  Does anyone know of a good pain killer
> beyond Metacam and depo medrol that would help him but also not drug
> him up sky high where life is a blur?
>
>    Thank for listening,
> Anne and Jimi Too Cool, Simms, and Sophie in MI among other furry friends

End of Felvtalk Digest, Vol 18, Issue 42