I am not a vet, but I have a heart disease kitty and I know they can 
be spayed with gas anesthesia only - apparently it is less stressful 
on the body?  Maybe you could consider that?

I know unspayed cats are more susceptible to various kinds of cancer 
than spayed cats, but I don't know how much of a concern that would 
be.  If it were me I would probably get a couple of opinions from 
vets.  I know it is a hard decision.  

----- Original Message -----
From: Hideyo Yamamoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:13 pm
Subject: RE: To Spay or not to spay
To: [email protected]

> Definitely spaying (anesthesia) is more stressful than going through
> heat - I am in a similar situation with my baby Ginger who is also 
> felkpositive.  I have another felk positive kitty, Tsubomi who has 
> beenspayed already, but I have not spayed Ginger due to the same 
> reason as
> you are facing with Lucy.  Ginger is doing well right now, but she 
can
> be very fragile and don't want to risk activating the virus and may
> trigger any serious symptoms... my vet agrees with me.  It's a 
> personalchoice, but since I lost one of my babies after spaying 
> surgery.. and
> hearing after someone else's on the list who lost two of her kitties
> (who were both felk positive four days after the spaying surgery), 
> I am
> so scared to take that chance... 
> 
> 
> 
>  _____  
> 
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:44 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: To Spay or not to spay
> 
> 
> 
> Good afternoon everyone!
> 
> I have a question about whether or not to spay my Lucy. She was
> symptomatic from when I got her at 4 months until about a month 
> ago but
> now seems to be pretty healthy. Izzie was spayed a few weeks ago but
> they wanted to wait to do Lucy until she had been healthy for a 
while.
> The spaying was very stressful on Izzie and she got quite sick 
> afterwardbut has recovered. We didn't know she was Felv + until 
> after the
> surgery. Lucy has gone into heat twice already and I think we're 
> gearingup for the next round. It is very stressful on her and the 
> last time by
> day 7 her energy seemed really drained and she vomited a few times 
> whichI attributed to the stress on her body - the poor thing just 
> can'trelax!  So my question is, what is more stressful, going into 
> heat or
> having the spay surgery. The vet doesn't think it's a problem to have
> her unspayed as she is strictly an indoor cat - although I do worry
> about what would happen if she got out. I am biased toward having her
> spay ed not just because of the stress on her but also because the
> stress of her being in heat on me, the constant all-night yoweling 
> getsto be a lot. But can't help but feel that by deciding to get 
> her spayed
> I could be killing her. Thoughts? Does anyone have any suggestions on
> how to make being in heat easier on her? Thanks! Maggie
> 
> 

Reply via email to