Gas anesthesia is much less complicated to the body than injectable ones.. but it still very hard on their body------ the important thing to remember is that yes definitely it CAN BE done.. and even there maybe a good chance that nothing would happen to they kitty during or after the surgery... but also, there is a chance that it could.. so.. you just have to weigh the risks and benefits...I am a very coward when coming to any surgery.. so I try to avoid it as much as I can..
-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 12:20 PM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: RE: To Spay or not to spay I am not a vet, but I have a heart disease kitty and I know they can be spayed with gas anesthesia only - apparently it is less stressful on the body? Maybe you could consider that? I know unspayed cats are more susceptible to various kinds of cancer than spayed cats, but I don't know how much of a concern that would be. If it were me I would probably get a couple of opinions from vets. I know it is a hard decision. ----- Original Message ----- From: Hideyo Yamamoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:13 pm Subject: RE: To Spay or not to spay To: [email protected] > Definitely spaying (anesthesia) is more stressful than going through > heat - I am in a similar situation with my baby Ginger who is also > felkpositive. I have another felk positive kitty, Tsubomi who has > beenspayed already, but I have not spayed Ginger due to the same > reason as > you are facing with Lucy. Ginger is doing well right now, but she can > be very fragile and don't want to risk activating the virus and may > trigger any serious symptoms... my vet agrees with me. It's a > personalchoice, but since I lost one of my babies after spaying > surgery.. and > hearing after someone else's on the list who lost two of her kitties > (who were both felk positive four days after the spaying surgery), > I am > so scared to take that chance... > > > > _____ > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:44 AM > To: [email protected] > Subject: To Spay or not to spay > > > > Good afternoon everyone! > > I have a question about whether or not to spay my Lucy. She was > symptomatic from when I got her at 4 months until about a month > ago but > now seems to be pretty healthy. Izzie was spayed a few weeks ago but > they wanted to wait to do Lucy until she had been healthy for a while. > The spaying was very stressful on Izzie and she got quite sick > afterwardbut has recovered. We didn't know she was Felv + until > after the > surgery. Lucy has gone into heat twice already and I think we're > gearingup for the next round. It is very stressful on her and the > last time by > day 7 her energy seemed really drained and she vomited a few times > whichI attributed to the stress on her body - the poor thing just > can'trelax! So my question is, what is more stressful, going into > heat or > having the spay surgery. The vet doesn't think it's a problem to have > her unspayed as she is strictly an indoor cat - although I do worry > about what would happen if she got out. I am biased toward having her > spay ed not just because of the stress on her but also because the > stress of her being in heat on me, the constant all-night yoweling > getsto be a lot. But can't help but feel that by deciding to get > her spayed > I could be killing her. Thoughts? Does anyone have any suggestions on > how to make being in heat easier on her? Thanks! Maggie > >

