well, we haven't had to use metacam, but we've used both buprenex and the fentanyl patches for Smoky's IC outbreaks and he does fabulously on the patches - the problem with oral dosage is that it wears off and he's a terror to pill - especially when he's not feeling well - he did get relief from the combination of the buprenex and the acepromazine (also had the ace w/the patch) but it made his recovery much less traumatic to use the patch - he had 4 episodes over the holiday season - from Thanksgiving to St Valentine's and the last one he was completely blocked

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
That's what we gave to Bones after her back was broken. We only were allowed to give her 4 doses, each does 3 days apart. They told me all the risks, and screened her for kidney functions before prescribing it. She did really fine on it. So... from my personal experience, I'm not too put off by it's many warnings. Mind you, for anything LESS than a broken back, I'd might have chosen a different route, but for that severe of an injury, it really worked well.

On the same note, Fentantyl (sp?) patches (also known as Duragestic patches), which are put on cats and left on for 3 days are on the verge of being recalled soon, as many HUMAN deaths have occurred from them. Not sure about feline deaths. Tangle was prescribed PILLS for his after dental pain.. lemme see... Butorphanol 5mg. I think that may be a form of Bute, which I generally don't like due to IT'S side effects, BUT, with the fentanyl patch issues, and the metacam warnings, I chose them over the other two options. They did work very well, he was a MUCH happier cat after getting his pill for the night.

Phaewryn

PLEASE Adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!!
http://ucat.us/adopt.html

DONATE: We could really use a power saw (for construction), a digital camera (for pictures) and HOMES for CATS!
Checked by AVG Free Edition.

"My cat the clown: paying no mind to whom he should impress. Merely living his life, doing what pleases him, and making me smile."
- Anonymous