From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marissa Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 10:07 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Insecticides/Exterminators

Hi again everyone!  I keep coming up with more questions...thanks for your patience!!!

I live in an apartment in a suburb of Washington, DC.  I woke up this morning and realized that the exterminator was supposed to come today (he comes the first Wed. of every month).  I couldn't get ahold of the office to find out if Slinky would be safe or not, so I left a note for them to call me before they did anything.

They did call and the exterminator says the chemicals they use aren't harmful to any animals (there are others in the complext with cats and they're fine).  They're treating for roaches.  I did have a roach problem shortly after I moved in, but I haven't had any problems for a while.  I told them Slinky had a suppressed immune system and they still said it would be fine.  But I asked them to skip my apartment at least for this month.

So...for future reference...do you think the insecticides they use really are okay for him?  If I end up developing a roach problem, should I let them go ahead and spray?  Or should I find a place for Slink to go for the day that day?  Could the roaches be harmful to him if they become a problem (I know they carry diseases, etc.)?

Since they do this monthly, I want to know how to handle it in the future.  I almost asked if I could bring Slink to my office today, but wasn't sure how well that would be received.  Plus it might be stressful for him!

So what are your thoughts?  Any experience with this?  THANKS SO MUCH!!!

MJ