When I lived in my apartment, every so often there would be an
infestation of roaches, though, interestingly, not originating in my
apartment (which was usually a pigsty) but in the bathroom of the little
old lady down the hall who kept her place so hot the original landlord
couldn't stand going in there.  I had 2 cats at the time, one of them
more or less contraband.  (The two cats I had gotten when I moved in,
with my original landlady's approval, were grandfathered in when the new
management changed the policy, but the two cats I had in 1982 were not
the same two cats as I had in 1994....luckily management was too stupid
to notice, or else they really didn't care as long as the rent was paid
and I didn't sneak off in the middle of the night leaving an unplugged
fridge full of rotting food and a radiator painted purple and black
stripes.  I'm not making this up, someone did do just that.)  Anyway,
every six months or so we'd get notice one night that the exterminators
were coming TOMORROW, please take all your dishes out of all your
cabinets.  I was usually able to fend off the exterminators by putting a
note saying Pets, please don't spray, and luckily I only had the
occasional roach find its way in.  But long story short, I really
wouldn't trust exterminators to know, or be straight with you about,
whether what they're using would be safe for an immune-compromised
kitty.  Even if they're conscientious, it might not be something they've
come across before.

In a related story, we originally kept Patches in our enclosed porch
room, and his dry food attracted ants galore.  The floor in there is
basically the wood subfloor that was in decent shape so we scrubbed and
varnished it.  The ants can still get in through the floorboards, at
least until we have a chance to slather more polyurethane into the
cracks.  So we bought a $6 Ant Control System, and haven't seen an ant
since.  We didn't USE the Ant Control System, mind you, we just BOUGHT
it.  Hell, if we'd known, we could have bought a $2 Ant Trap.  The Ant
Control System is now on a shelf of the desk in the porch room, where I
trust it is serving as a warning to all ants who enter. ;-)  (But when
we do use those things -- they're little ant motel thingies -- we put
them under sofas where none of our kitties is skinny enough to go, just
in case.)

Diane R.