Kayte,

Your little boy sounds so adorable.  I liked Marylyn's
advice on reading him the Rainbow Bridge poem.  It's
really good, and simple enough that a child his age
might understand fairly well.  I think you are wise to
wait to see if Crackers clears the virus.  Then, you
can go crazy finding him a mate or two.  Although,
it's been my experience that I don't get to wait once
I decide I want to take in another kitty.  They always
find me first!

:)
Wendy