What about cutting the back out of a pot for a plant?  Do like Kelly said and make it a fake plant and then you'd have the whole inside of the pot where the dirt would be.   You'll be like James Bond soon...  We live in a deed restricted community too... I'm lucky no one has said anything about me feeding on the porch.  I looked out the other day and there was a big fox eating on the porch!  So word travels fast in the animal kingdom....
Leslie =^..^=