From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: Acemannan availability

Dr. Nicholson at Veterinary Laboratories returned my call a moment ago.  The organization responsible for this audit is the USDA.  She gave me some contact numbers there and I am going to do my very best to be professional when I express to the USDA my displeasure with knowing that there are cats whose lives may have depended on this product while they took their time doing their audit.  Dr. Nicholson told me this one man who is in charge of the veterinary division may not even know about this but I assured her that he would after I spoke to him.

The mixture used in the injectible Acemannan (pronounced like it sounds - "Ace manan") is proprietary and so there is no generic and they have people from over seas calling everyday trying to get the product.  Right now, it simply isn't available.  Dr. Nicholson did not know why Acemannan Hydrogel is not subjected to the audit when it contains the same raw ingredients.  There is another lab right now that has an audit going on but the product being audited is not currently withheld from commerce.  The USDA has some questions to answer.

Meanwhile, I asked Dr. Nicholson if there was a human equivalent to Acemannan.  She told me that Manapol Plus (by Carrington Labs) is used for people.  It is taken orally rather than as an injection.  She was not sure if this product had been studied for use in cats but she thought it may have been.

I asked her if the USDA had given any indication of how long this audit would last - and she told me that the last she heard, they hoped to be through in November.

What I want to know is what gives the USDA the right to remove a proprietary product from the market that has been proven to save cat's lives?  Even if lives weren't at stake - what gives them the right to shut down this company's bottom line?  What if this were the only product they made?  This goes against everything our system stands for and I refuse to sit passively while this happens.  I'm wondering if I need to write my congressman.

Kiss the kitties for me,
elizabeth

*Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.*