Del,
I'm so sorry that happened to your Gigi Sue.  Thank you for telling us about that.  It is entirely possible.  I will have to look up information on Sarcocystis Neurona.

elizabeth

In a message dated 11/6/2006 9:09:34 P.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Haven't heard of opossums being a vector for FeLV ... they are hosts for Sarcocystis Neurona (sp) ... and however unlikely, my Gigi Sue picked it up.  She was one years old when I trapped her in my back yard where she shared area and food dishes with the opossums.  Three years later a stressful situation brought out the disease that had been dormant ... lost her to brain abscesses brought on by the disease.  Totally unlikely, but happened to her.  Don't worry about your opossums giving it to your cats ... Gigi Sue's case was highly unlikely but we could not find any other possibility of contagion.
Del
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 8:44 PM
Subject: Opossums a vector for FeVL?

People tease me about my "pet possums"...they like to climb one of the big climbing roses, hang out on the front porch and eat cat food.  I give them bananas and cheese and they are so tame that I can pet them.  I have three generations - including this years babies.  (I've probably told the story of contacting the National Opossum Society to make sure they weren't sick or something...sent pics...talked over an hour...etc).

I regularly email one of my vet tech's - and I sent her a picture of one of the possums.  She totally grossed out LOL  They are really very sweet creatures though - truly.  The vet tech has 12 horses though and is very 'anti-possum'.  She's a first rate vet-tech though and I very much value her skill and opinion.  Today she told me - "you DO know don't you that possums are a vector for leukemia?".  No - I did not know that...and as much as I respect and admire her...I'm not sure I believe it.  Anyone else heard of such a thing?  It just doesn't make sense to me...isn't this strictly a feline disease?  She said they were a major vector for rabies too - and while that may be true..the people at the National Opossum society would beg to differ with her.

I totally don't know -- but thankfully, ignorance is curable.

I do like this vet tech though...she overheard my conversation with the receptionist this morning when I called about Antonio.  The receptionist said it was "probably nothing"...but this vet tech said, "If Miss Trent says there's something wrong with one of her cats --- then there is something wrong with one of her cats".  That made me feel good.  She said I was very intuitive about my babies but I'm not so sure because if I were then I would have gotten Antonio to the vet sooner.

elizabeth

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow man. ~St. Francis