Dianne,

I'm so sorry that you've had to find us on Thanksgiving. There are a number of things that you can do to help your kitten's immune system. Some of them are the allopathic options mentioned on our main pages. Others are supplements that don't require prescription or vet input in order to use. I still think it's a good idea to have a vet familiar with supplements whom you can at least consult with, if need be. My experience indicates that holistic vets will understand supplements better. I have an allopathic vet that Ember, my FeLV+, sees regularly, and a holistic vet she has seen only once.

Supplemental options include Transfer Factor, high dose vitamin C that's formulated for animals, DMG CoQ10, and many others. I'm using DMG and Transfer Factor for Ember now, and they seem to be helping her. She also is on a five on/five off dose of interferon alpha. I think interferon alpha is a good thing to try, as it's not expensive and really can't hurt the animal in the low doses that allopathic vets prescribe.

I also moved Ember off of Prescription Diet food (which was for her teeth) and onto Innova EVO (www.naturapet.com), which is a far more natural and nutritious food. It certainly seems that a good diet will go a long way to preserving a feleuk cat's health, or towards helping its condition to improve.

A second opinion is a GREAT idea, especially if the first vet recommended euthanasia.

Please keep coming back here with questions, and feel free to mail any of us off-list, too. I know from personal experience how difficult the test results are to hear, but there really are options that may give your cat more time; possibly much more time.

Lance