Hi Sally,
I did have a kitten last summer that had the bottom half
of one ear turn bright red, but there was no thickening
of it.  My vet diagnosed it as similar to a "swimmer's ear"
infection, and gave me an ointment to treat it (Panalog, if
I remember right?)  It helped only very slightly, but she
had many other problems going on and a severely compro-
mised immune system.  Hope Junior is feeling better
soon with his shot.

Best wishes,
Beth