this is a hard one, because actually, i haven't used veterinary
intervention with any of my kids in many years. i HAVE with sanctuary
animals who were seizing, or clearly in great pain, and i wouldn't
hesitate to do so if one of mine were in that situation. but i agree
that letting them go through the complete cycle is the best. (for the
other animals in the house, as well, who get to say their goodbyes.)

as long as they let me know they want to continue on i will do
anything i can; but i try very hard to separate my needs from theirs.
i always give them permission to leave if that is where their path
leaves, while letting them know that i will do whatever is necessary
to help them stay if that is what they want to do. at some point, tho,
it seems that their spirits go on, and i see the final physical
manifestations as the last remnants of their spirits leaving behind a
body they're outgrown....