Just a note about compounding and flavoring... I read somewhere that instead of, or in conjunction with, fish flavorings, to use banana flavor in the compound to cut bitterness. I would never have believed it, but like Susan, I taste every horrid med that I give my kids too. The banana did make a difference. I've added pure banana flavoring to liquid meds in a pinch. I like Susan's idea about the maple syrup too. I'm going to try that with the banana next time!

Oh and Susan btw I'm so grateful for your posting this website. I think I saw it on the AC list the first time. I still feel kind of naughty, or like if I use it too much they'll take it away, but it's such a pleasure to be able to get the meds I know my kids need without having to go through a vet for them.
Nina

Susan Hoffman wrote:
I buy most basic meds through www.1drugstore-online.com <http://www.1drugstore-online.com> (without a prescription) and, if it is foul tasting like zithromax or metronidazole, do my own compounding at home. Those two seem better suited to pancake syrup or maple syrup than anything fishy. Fish flavoring would just make it worse I think. The flavor of the medicine seems better overcome by a very sweet taste, though the aftertaste is still pretty nasty. (Yes, I do taste this crap before I inflict it on the cats. I stick my pinky in and touch it to my tongue, then usually rinse my mouth real fast.)