They get it from feces by getting it on their paws in the litter box and
then grooming themselves.

When did he start on clindamycin? any improvement?

is he felv+? has he been on steroids in the past? both can make them get
clinical toxo even if they have just been carrying toxo without being sick, as
many cats do.

In a message dated 1/31/2007 7:32:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  Titers for toxo do not necessarily tell you if a cat has toxo, but there
are
> two that can help: IGM titer and IGG titer. Apparently the ratio  between
the
> two can strongly indicate toxo.  Regardless of  whether you do these tests,

> though, or their results I would  start on clindamycin immediately. Be
aware
> that  the dose for  toxo is double the dose of using clindamycin for other
>  purposes--  it's 12.5 mg/kg twice a day rather than once a day.

I  guess I left out some critical details. He was prescribed 75 mg tabs
of  Clindamycin twice a day. Doing the conversions that's a little
light for a  14.something lb. cat but not much. I'll mention this to the
vet when she  calls with the blood results tomorrow. He was also
prescribed Triple AB  w/Steroid Ointment for his eyes, which are one of
his major symptoms. He's  had his first dose of both. She gave a
month's worth.

Note that he  improved on the Clavamox and NeoPolyBac the first vet
prescribed, but  relapsed. I guess any antibiotic is better than
nothing, but 10 days wasn't  nearly enough of the wrong drug. Or
something like that.

She was  hoping we'd get blood results tomorrow but it may be Friday. I
won't be  able to post them until the weekend. I don't know if she
ordered the titers  you mention above; she said it would be a very
"full panel" as if it's not  toxo she wants to have all information at
hand.

On the "how to  prevent my pet from becoming infected" (concerns for
the other felines plus  future foster cats) section it is not clear to
me how this ever transmits  via feces. They'd have to eat it, wouldn't
they? I'm trying to figure out  how he got it, too. He does go outside,
and he is a successful hunter. He  was last out at least 3 months ago,
and he thinks prey is something to be  brought home and shown off, not
eaten. Could it lie dormant 3+ months?  Could something like being beat
up/bitten by one of our other cats cause it  to come out of dormancy?

thanks,
Lynette