on the other paw.....

as someone who lived/worked at a sanctuary, let me explain something
about the reasons places ask for notice before people are allowed to
visit.

a real sanctuary will NEVER turn anyone with a legitimate reason to
reason to visit down. HOWEVER, in most cases, this is also their home.
it is also the CATS' home--it's not a shelter where the aimals are
accustomed to constant visitors. depending on how many peple actually
live on-site, if they work outside the home in addition to taking care
of the animals, etc., being available for visitors at any time is just
not reasonable. there are vet trips to make, scheduled tasks to carry
out, ALWAYS emergencies--and the people need times for themselves, as
well. so while having to make an appointment to see a surrendered cat
COULD be a sign of a problem, it could also be very good time
management and evidence of a group that's taking care of their own
needs--something that often doesn't happen, and that DOES result in
becoming overwhelmed and burnt out.

in this situation, it's really hard to know if this woman really had
gotten cats from rude ranch or was just saying she had....

it adds another question, tho, to our list of things to ask any
sanctuary: do you ever release your cats to other rescues/sanctuaries?
if you charge a monthly maintenance fee (which most places do NOT;
their assumption is that they are taking on the forever care of the
cats who come through their doors) and the original owners stop paying
that fee, what happens to the cat? if you're paying a monthly
maintenance fee, do you get monthly or at least quarterly photos and
updates on the cat? i know that some places do not do that; that once
you surrender the cat, you give up all parental rights--i guess i can
see both sides of that, but would prefer it to be on a case-to-case
basis, because sometimes a cat is surrendered to a sanctuary for
reasons beyond their control, and they really do care tremendously for
the cat and it's not just a dumping situation.....

you really CANNOT believe what you see on the net--some really
notoriously bad places have incredible websites, and some incredible
places either have no websites at all, or just don't take the time
away from the animals to put into slick presentations....

perhaps a task force to create a list of questions to ask/things to
look for, and people who are willing to go visit the
sanctuaries/rescues in their own geographical areas. a great source of
information, too, are local veterinarians and rescue groups--people in
the area will often know far more about the actual goings on than
outsiders. BUT one report is never enough, as it is far too easy for
one group to trash another, and unfortunately, that happens constantly
in rescue--instead of remembering that we're supposedly in this for
the animals, too often it becomes about the egos of the people
involved. when you're around long enough, you learn whom to listen to
and whom to disregard--but it's almost impossible to know that coming
into a situation from outside.

MC, the typically unbiased